Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sticking it to "The Man"

Today I was the recipient of an unexpected hug.

It was from a person I have been working with on a project for work, and therefore, doubly unexpected.

She did warn me it was coming, but that only sent me into a stunned, arms-pinned-against-my-sides panic as she descended on me, and somehow it occurred to me to reciprocate. The whole thing was over fairly quickly, and to my surprise, was actually quite a pleasant experience. I felt a definite lifting of the heart.

Driving back to the office it occurred to me that once upon a time I was a prolific hugger. What happened? Some time between late adolescence and early adulthood I allowed myself to be convinced that hugging was inappropriate or unprofessional at work and somehow this spilled over into my personal life.

Well I am taking the power back! I am going to hug as many people as I can, as many times as possible!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good on ya! As long as you don't start hugging trees then your okay...
Hugs are very underrated.
IW